Innovative social enterprise, Cultivate London, is seeking an experienced & enthusiastic Communities Manager to join our team.
Location: Acton and Isleworth predominantly and working at various other locations around London
Hours: Full time (5 days per week) Monday to Friday. 8.30am – 5pm. Overtime during peak season may be required
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Established in 2010, Cultivate London (CL) is a west London-based social enterprise that employs horticultural activities to: support local people into sustained employment or education; to improve the wellbeing of our community members; and to improve the physical environment & social cohesion of local communities. We deliver impact for local young people & residents.
We operate a Gardening Services social enterprise, comprising the following activities:
1. Commercial Gardening Services: offering gardening services to corporate clients, property developers & local authorities in west London. Income generated through our commercial activities is ploughed back into supporting our charitable work.
2. Community Gardening: we have created – and currently manage – 7 community growing spaces in West & South London. In 2015 CL worked with local volunteers to develop our flagship community kitchen garden – Salopian Garden – on a formerly derelict site in Isleworth. The site is now a tranquil & beautiful oasis of green in the heart of Hounslow. We work with a range of community partners to deliver a variety of workshops here. More than 3800 local people have taken part in training at the Salopian Garden since it’s inception.
Cultivate London is seeking a Communities Manager to help deliver our objectives of;
– acting as a resource for local people by providing work-based training & activities
– advancing the education of the public in horticulture, local food production & sustainable living practices
– improving the physical environment & cohesion of communities & area in London
Utilising strong horticulture expertise & managerial skills the Communities Manager will maintain & develop the community sites and engagement programmes to support and engage individuals, community groups and a wide range of community members, build skills, confidence & therefore employment prospects & project sustainability across all the Cultivate London community sites.
The post holder will be responsible for:
– Management of 4 key sites; including the Salopian Garden which includes an outdoor kitchen & chicken coop (including H&S, repairs & site maintenance)
– Devising & managing development projects across the community sites
– Resource logistics across the sites & stocking Salopian Garden (cleaning products, chicken feed, seeds, compost etc)
– Plant production at the Salopian Garden to feed into all our other sites
– Key contact for community groups & relationship management (including recruitment)
– Leading the planning & preparation (including H&S & task planning) of our rota of community programmes
– Supervise sessional tutors & volunteers to deliver workshops to individuals of all ages & abilities
– Lead in the practical delivery of all corporate volunteering events; set up, supervision of volunteers & supporting those on site
– Promotion/social media
– Financial management of projects & sites
– Implement & supervise the impact recording & reporting on all projects & sites
– Horticultural qualification at or above Level 2 (or relevant experience)
– Experience delivering community gardening activities & events, worked with a wide range of community members
– Proven managerial skills & experience of staff supervision
– Strong communication in engaging individuals & groups from diverse backgrounds & varied age groups, including young people
– Good awareness of Health and Safety
– Full UK driving licence and ability / willingness to drive a transit sized van
– Travel between sites will be required so flexibility to work in a range of locations across London; predominantly Ealing and Hounslow.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates based in the West London area, but we welcome all applicants.
The post holder will work alongside the Operations Manager & will have 3 members of staff reporting into them; our Education Officer, a Community Programme Operative & a Horticultural Apprentice, with supervision of other junior Apprentices, Trainees, members of the team & volunteers. Some evening & weekend work may be necessary as part of this role.
Chance to make a real positive difference to Londoners’ lives & London’s green spaces
Training and career development encouraged
28 days holiday (including UK Bank Holidays)
Uniform and personal protective equipment (PPE) is supplied
– Send your application (CV and cover letter) to email@example.com
– For further information about this role please contact Rosie Naylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0208 992 4941
– Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 3rd June 2019
– Should you be invited in for an interview we will ask you to complete a task similar to the work required within this role to bring to the interview with you
– Interviews will take place 6th & 7th June 2019 in West London
– Start date: as soon as possible
– Appointment to this post is subject to an enhanced criminal records check through the Disclosure and Barring Service and references
Cultivate London is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all members of the community.